UEFA has released details of the distribution of revenue to clubs from the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup as well as solidarity payments for the qualifying phases.
Regarding the UEFA Europa League, this is the share for the clubs participating in the competition (group stage onwards
Forecast amounts (total €560 million)
The net amount available to participating clubs will be split into four different pillars:
• 25% will be allocated to the starting fees (140 million).
• 30% will be allocated to the performance-related fixed amounts (€168
• 15% will be distributed on the basis of ten-year performance-based coefficient rankings (€84 million).
• 30% will be allocated to variable amounts (market pool) (€168 million).
Starting fees (€140 million)
Each of the 48 clubs that qualify for the group stage can expect to receive a group stage allocation of €2.92 million, split into a down payment of €2.75 million, and a balance payment of €170,000.
Fixed amounts (€168m)
Group stage performance bonuses will be paid for each match: €570,000 per win and €190,000 per draw. Undistributed amounts (€190,000 per draw) will be pooled and redistributed among the clubs playing in the group stage in amounts proportionate to their number of wins.
The group winners can expect to receive a qualification bonus of €1m each and the runners-up €500,000 each.
Clubs that qualify for the knockout stage can expect to receive the following amounts:
• qualification for the round of 32; €500,000 each
• qualification for the round of 16: €1.1 million each
• qualification for the quarter-finals: €1.5 million each
• qualification for the semi-finals: €2.4 million each
• qualification for the final: €4.5 million each
• The UEFA Europa League winners can expect to pick up an additional €4 million.
Coefficient ranking (€84 million)
On the basis of the new ten-year ranking, a ranking table has been established and the total amount of €84 million has been divided into ‘coefficient shares’, each worth €71,430. The lowest-ranked team will receive one share (€71,430). One share will be added to every rank and so the highest-ranked team will receive 48 shares (€3.42 million).
Market pool (€168 million)
The estimated available amount of €168 million will be distributed according to the proportional value of each TV market represented by the clubs taking part in the UEFA Europa League (group stage onwards). The different market shares will be split among the clubs participating from a given association.
Half of the global market pool (€84 million) will be split into as many shares as there are national associations represented by at least one club in the group stage. Each share, proportional to the value of the relevant media rights market, will be divided among the clubs based on their performance in the previous season’s domestic competitions. The following split will apply among the clubs from any given association.
• If the domestic cup winner does not qualify for the UEFA Europa League group stage, the market pool distribution will be split equally among all the participating clubs from the relevant national association.
• Domestic cup winners eliminated in the UEFA Champions League qualifying rounds and moving to the UEFA Europa League will be considered as cup winners as far as the distribution plan is concerned.
The other half of the market pool (€84 million) will be split into as many shares as there are rounds in the competition, as follows:
• group stage (40%) €33.6 million
• round of 32 (20%) €16.8 million
• round of 16 (16%) €13.4 million
• quarter-finals (12%) €10.1 million
• semi-finals (8%) €6.7 million
• final (4%) €3.4 million
Each of the above shares will be split into as many parts as there are national associations represented by at least one club in the round concerned, proportional to the value of the relevant media rights markets. Each national association share will be split equally among all the clubs participating in that round from a given national association.
The various amounts distributed from the market pool on a club-by-club basis can only be confirmed once all the contracts have been finalised and not before the end of the competition, since the exact amount for each club depends on five factors:
1) the actual final amount in the market pool
2) the composition of the field of clubs participating in the UEFA Europa League
3) the number of clubs from any given association competing in the UEFA Europa League
4) the results of each competing club in the previous season’s domestic competitions
5) the performance of each club in the UEFA Europa League